A historic Leyland pub that closed last year is set to reopen as Chinese take-out.
The Old Original Seven Stars at the junction of Slater Lane and Leyland Lane will undergo conversion after permission was granted at a meeting of the South Ribble Borough Council planning committee.
The applicant, Li Hua Shi, proposes to launch “Kimbo Gardens”, a company which promises “to bring healthy Chinese cuisine to the region”. However, the authority’s approval means that a take-out of any type is now allowed to open at the busy place.
The building is believed to date back to the late 17th century, but is neither locally nor nationally listed – and has seen most of its original fabric lost during construction in recent years.
Cllr committee member Caroline Moon said it was “pretty sad” that he “had no protection.”
However, she added: “I would say, overall we are better off having a use for [it] rather than an empty building. It’s been tried and tried as an ad and doesn’t work, so what do we do with it – wait for it to rot or give it a use that makes a business out there? Cllr Moon asked.
The meeting learned that the building – more recently called ‘Th’ Owd Seven Stars ‘- had been assessed for possible listing status several years ago, but that Historic England had concluded that’ it was not. not worth it ”.
As part of the conversion, two exhaust pipes with silencers will be installed on the east side of the building, one of which will correspond to the height of the current chimney. Although it was accepted that these would be “definitely important”, members were informed that there were no other options.
After the advisers agreed on the most suitable color for the infrastructure, it was concluded that a final decision would only be made after discussions between the applicant and the board.
Meanwhile, Cllr Mary Green questioned the wisdom of allowing a takeaway to open “right in front” of St. Anne’s Elementary School.
“[In] this region, where there are pockets of deprivation, there is a high incidence of obesity in children – and I [think] that could be a problem, ”she said.
However, the meeting learned that previous attempts in South Ribble and neighboring Chorley to introduce a local policy banning take-out near schools had failed – as town planning inspectors concluded it was not. not based on “sufficiently scientific” evidence.
Another attempt to craft such a policy would be made as part of the ongoing work to create a joint local plan for South Ribble, Chorley and Preston, which is expected to be in place by December 2023.
However, planning officer Debbie Roberts added, “St. Anne’s is an elementary school so you would expect some parental control – [unlike] a high school where children went and fed on their own.
Take-out meals will be allowed to open from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday to Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sundays and public holidays.
Do you have any news for us? Contact our editorial staff at [email protected].
Get all the latest news, sport and stories sent daily to your inbox with the LancsLive newsletter here.